The parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Fakenham sits on an elevated position next to the market square and its 115ft tower dominates the centre of the town. This landmark building has its origins in the 14th and 15th centuries, although a Saxon church was believed to have preceded it. The majority of the interior we see today, including the pine pews, date from a major Victorian era restoration. Most of the stained glass is 19th century although one medieval roundel (see photo above) still exists on the nave’s north wall. Other notable internal features include an octagonal 15th century font (with one undecorated facet probably blanked out during the Reformation) and a 14th century chancel screen which was restored in the 19th century. The church organ is reputed to be one of the finest in Norfolk and dates from 1926. It was given a major overhaul in 1988, with further repair work in the 1990s and cleaning in 2006.
The parish church enjoys a thriving community presence, producing a monthly newsletter, The Fakenham Beacon, which is distributed from the parish office free to thousands of local homes. The building plays host to a monthly Craft Market which is normally held to coincide with the Fakenham Farmers’ Market. The church supports a range of local community projects and charities, most notably through an increasingly popular annual Fakenham Christmas Tree Festival, which attracts thousands of visitors and raises charitable donations from the public.
|More details from www.fakenhamparishchurch.org.ukPhotos © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence|